Saturday, January 5, 2008

New Year U.K. Style


Imagine yourself in London's Trafalgar Square surrounded by 350,000 people at the final countdown to New Year's Eve 2008 and you will be me!

Often dubbed the "Times Square of Europe" on New Y
ear's Eve, Trafalgar Square is rich in history. To this day, its southern end, Charing Cross, is still considered the heart of London, from which all distances are measured.

Joining me on my trip to London was my buddy Ryan from my Target team in Minneapolis. Since Ryan had recently gotten his passport this was the prime opportunity to break it in! Being first-time visitors to the U.K. we had no problem finding plenty of things to see and do including touring the Tower of London (seeing the crown jewels and the torture chambers was amazing--talk about intense times); attending Westminster Abby's Evensong service; experiencing Big Ben; the London Eye; Buckingham Palace; climbing hundreds of stairs to the top spire of St. Paul's Cathedral (what a view!); riding the famous London underground ("Mind the Gap"); lunch at Harrod's; and taking in a show, Mary Poppins, at London's Prince Edward Theatre.

I found the architecture stunning, the history lessons fascinating, and the people very friendly. London has an energy that is magnetic--especially in Soho and Picadilly Circus. There was color everywhere! Another highlight was the opportunity to forgo bottled water for a few days and use tap water to brush my teeth! I deliberately drank a big glass of hotel water each day just because I could... reminding me that sometimes its the little things :o)

I decided to take another "peace" picture--this time in front of the Tower
Bridge. I told Ryan that I should think about starting a "peace around the world" series... another idea to ponder.

Wishing a happy, prosperous, abundant, and peaceful new year to all!


1 comment:

JoAnn said...

Was that Prince William in the crowd outside Buckingham Palace? Ha Ha
Looks like you had a great holiday in London.
Cheers Mate!